Monday, May 17, 2010

Love and Clippers...

Two years ago today it was Easter Sunday. Rob and I were up early getting all fancy, him in a hurry because he was late, and me, not so much because I didn’t have to leave until later.
Today it’s Tuesday and the start of my work week. I’m in Chicago waking up next to Jeff and pulling myself out of bed to go run. It’s dark outside still but I love it. The sky is just beginning to lighten up. This is my favorite time of day.
Last night while falling asleep Jeff asked if there was anything on my mind. This cracks me up. He and I spent most of the day drinking coffee on his couch yesterday and having intense, wonderful, deep conversations. I’m not sure how it is that I haven’t covered everything that my brain could possibly come up with or hold today.
“Hmm…nope. You?”
He’s quiet for a while until he asks, “Is it ok if I call you my girlfriend?”
I giggle. “Of course.”
We laugh at how it’s annoying to constantly refer to the other one when talking to people as “this guy/girl” I’m seeing.
He hugged me hard. I felt calm, content, and happy. It’s like some sort of anxiety was just scraped away. Not that I didn’t think we were going to go in this direction, it’s just nice to have it said out loud.
I return home from my run and get ready for work. Once there I get no-showed by my first one and everyone after that wanted to change their hair. My most challenging was a boy who had hair that was about 3 inches below the top of his ear. He showed me a picture of a haircut that was extremely short, something I’d have to do with the clippers. Now I’m not real fond of the clippers. George teases me about it on a regular basis and is always encouraging me to use them.
I stare at the picture trying to find a way out of this. There is no way. I have to do it. I remind myself that I have everything I need right now. Help is here should something happen.
After shampooing my client I walk over to George’s station and rummage through it looking for his clippers. He walks up to me in the middle of doing this.
“May I use your clippers?” I ask.
“Of course you can!” he exclaims and reaches passed me to pull out a comb and the clippers. While he’s doing this, I notice something on the inside of his station’s cabinet door. It’s a small piece of paper with the words “I love you” written on it in his son’s handwriting. My eyes flood with tears for a second out of gratitude and out of fear for what is going to happen once I turn these things on and start running them up my client’s head. I’m reminded though of a friend’s words when she told me to imagine God there with you in any situation you find yourself fearful in. Seeing the words “I love you” written there in George’s station reminded me that I’m not alone.
“May the force be with you.” George smiled and left for the day.
I cut my client’s hair and was proud of and happy with the end result as was my client. Whew!

No comments: