Monday, April 20, 2009

Easter...

My alarm goes off at three in the morning. I roll out of bed, get dressed, pack the last of my things and head out for the train. I’m barely able to think as I sit at the platform hoping to get on this flight to Atlanta. I didn’t hear from dad so I assume everything is fine.
At Ohare I stand against the wall at the gate watching my name on the stand-by list get pushed further and further down on the overhead computer screen. Kids are everywhere, crawling around and screaming. I just want to sit on this plane and sleep just a few more hours…
When Charlie and I discussed coming to Atlanta, he decided to purchase a ticket on United. He would be flying to Washington D.C. on Monday and I would be going back to Chicago. His flight is leaving an hour after mine this morning. I have a good feeling he’s going to be camped out at Hartsfield while I race from gate to gate at Ohare, trying to figure out a way to Atlanta.
My eyes scan the surrounding area and land on a delicious, blue eyed man heading in my direction. My heart warms and I smile, walking towards him.
“Hi.” I exhale, wrapping my arms around him.
“Hey.” Charlie smiles and kisses me.
“It’s not looking good.” I nodded toward the computer screen.
He nods. “I’ve got plenty of T.V. shows to entertain me on my computer if you get stuck, but you’re getting on so don’t worry.”
We stand there in sleepy silence, watching swarms of people board the plane. I’m searching my brain, trying to come up with plan B.
The plane took off without clearing any stand-bys. We were rolled over to the next flight that was now delayed forty five minutes.
“Ok, if I don’t get home today and have to fly tomorrow, do you want to stay with Kat or my parents?” I ask Charlie.
“Let’s cross that bridge when we get there.” he replies. “I have to go. It’s all going to be fine. You’ll make it today.” he kisses me and heads for his terminal. I walk to the gate where the next flight to Atlanta will be leaving, sit, and stare at the wall. Ah, the adventures of stand-by travel begins.
Eventually, I was back on the train heading for Midway airport. Ohare would be a mess all day. Once there, I waited three hours and was the last person on the plane, landing in Atlanta five hours later than expected, but at least I made it.
Charlie and I spent the afternoon with my parents and the evening with Kat and Gordon. We stayed with them and after a fabulous evening of taking Charlie to some of our favorite places we were asleep at two in the morning.
Like clockwork, my eyes were open at seven. I carefully got out of bed and into my running clothes. “I can’t believe I’m doing this right now…” I think to myself. I don’t remember the last time I had eight hours of sleep and I’m now going to destroy my legs on N. Highland and can’t wait!
I walk outside, turn on my iPOD and take off. The temperature is perfectly chilly but not uncomfortable. The sun is starting to come up and the air smells like breakfast. I listen to slower music but run fast, feeling happy, relaxed and not entirely alone even though the street is empty. There are no cars or people on the street. I remember sometimes feeling this way right after Rob died and I wonder if he’s with me right now.
I used to bug him about running with me on Sunday mornings. I wanted his company. He was having none of that and sometimes I got up and went anyways, bringing him coffee or breakfast on my way home.
Instead of running straight through Freedom Park, I head for Candler Park. I smile to myself remembering how much I loved the streets here and always enjoyed my drive to work. It feels like I never left.
On my way back to Kat and Gordon’s, I stop by San Francisco Coffee to get coffee for Charlie and me. I walk passed the tables that Rob and I sat in by the window and remember one Sunday morning we were here before I had to work and he had me laughing so hard I couldn’t breathe.
I head back with the coffee and carefully walk into the room where Charlie is still asleep. His hand is curled under his chin and he looks so sweet that I don’t move to wake him, just place the coffee on the vanity next to him and tiptoe out.
In the kitchen I stare out the window and suck down my coffee so fast I don’t remember even drinking it. So many times I’d be at this window waiting for Rob to come, so many nights were spent here, opening wine bottles, laughing, eating breakfast or dinner. Everything still looks the same but is completely different.
I can’t move. I think about walking outside to sit on the steps and write, or just sit. I’d like to cry but can’t. I think about a shower but can’t seem to do that either. I just stand there and stare out the window and try to be content with that.
I turn around after hearing something and see Charlie standing in the living room looking half asleep.
“Hi.” I smile, walking towards him to kiss him.
“Hey.” he sits in a reclining chair. “Thanks for the coffee.”
“You’re welcome.” I nod.
“What time did we need to be up?”
“Nine thirty. At least I need to be in the shower then.” I sit on the couch, pulling my knees up to my chest.
“What? I thought it was eight thirty.”
“Nope.” I smile realizing it’s a little after eight thirty now. “Want some orange juice?”
“Sure.”
“Kay, I’ll be back.” I hop up and run out the door and up to Belly where they make the most delicious bagels and have fresh squeezed orange and grapefruit juice. Rob and I both lost our minds over the place. Even though he’s not here, it makes me feel good to still want to do these things for someone else I care so much about.
They were out of orange so I got grapefruit instead. Charlie was on his computer doing some work when I got back. I took a shower and got dressed. Gordon made breakfast for all of us. It was so nice to be with them. I talked to Kat while Charlie got dressed and we were off to church.
I can’t find words to describe how this feels. I was just doing this with Rob last year. I had gone back and forth in my head over asking Charlie to come with me for Easter because I didn’t know how I’d feel. Now I’m so glad he’s hear I can hardly stand it. I don’t want to be without him. Those feelings are confusing as well because I felt that way with Rob too, never wanting to be without him, always so happy to have him right next to me.
In church I’m giggly out of nervousness. Everything seems funny and I wonder if somewhere in my head I’m laughing to keep from either crying or screaming.
After the service we go to my grandmothers for lunch. Charlie is seated to my right, like Rob was and it feels like the most comfortable thing in the world. Everyone tells me later how much they like him.
Charlie is exhausted and I’m still wired from coffee this morning as we drive back to Atlanta. We go back to Kat and Gordon’s to get our things then I drive him around Inman Park to look at the old houses that have lined the streets there for many many years. I take him to the Brickstore in Decatur. I haven’t been since Rob died and it was fabulously calm inside compared to it’s usual insanity. We have a beer, then the electricity goes out. I can feel something bubbling under my skin during all this. I want to talk to Charlie. About what I don’t know, but I feel, sitting at the bar, there is no privacy and constant interruptions.
We decide to leave and go find dinner. I can’t seem to think as I’m driving us around. We end up at Zuma, where we went the night before for sushi. On Easter last year, Rob and I went here and I remember being tipsy telling him I was falling in love with him. How is it that all this is happening again with yet another amazing person? How did we end up at this place on Easter Sunday again? What do I do with all this?
Sushi is delicious and I calm down a little. We drive to mom and dad’s and stay up way too late again. Mom wakes us up at six something and drives us to the airport. Charlie’s flight is leaving before mine and I sit with him at the gate until he has to go.
“I’ll miss you.” he tells me after wrapping me up in a hug.
“I’ll miss you too.” I smile and kiss him then head to my gate. Once again, it doesn’t look like I’ll be going back to Chicago anytime soon. The flight is delayed and full. Great. I don’t have enough energy to be mad though. I call dad.
“What do I do? Do I stay here another day or try to get on this flight?”
“I don’t know. Wait and see what this flight is going to do.” he tells me.
I sigh and stare at the wall. “Ok, I’ll call you if something ridiculous happens.”
“Ok.” I hear him smile.
Minutes later, I’m cleared and we’re boarding. I’m ecstatic but again, have no energy. The weather is bad in Atlanta causing people to be delayed and miss their connections which opened up my flight.
Back in Chicago I take the train home. It’s cold and raining here. I want nothing more than to be wrapped up in Charlie’s arms and be asleep. I fall into my own bed and close my eyes…

No comments: